We love our bourbon here, but the sun doesn’t rise and set on Kentucky Nectar only.
And the folks at Village Anchor aim to continue teaching that with the second of five Whisk(e)y Five dinners set for July 6, at 6:30 p.m. On the heels of a June Scotch-paired dinner, rye whiskey is the spirit accompaniment for this meal.
Susan Reigler, whiskey writer and certified executive bourbon steward, returns as the tasting guide for the dinner that also will showcase chef Henry Wesley’s paired menu. Given that most Louisvillians are likely bourbon-first fans, Reigler starts the evening with a baseline taste of Kentucky nectar before moving on to the featured sipper.
The evening’s feast includes:
- *Surf and turf vol-au-vent; foie gras pâté; smoked rainbow trout mousse, pickled onion, hard-boiled egg, crispy caper; paried with Jim Beam Black 86 proof (the bourbon starter), Old Overholt 80 proof and Woodford Rye 90.4 proof
- “Composure” – summer vegetable composed salad of sweet corn and peppers in cilantro, asparagus and pearls in sage, baby carrot and baby beets in rosemary mâche in lemon; High West Double Rye 92 proof
- Sumac-encrusted Kentucky bison strip loin, smoked sweet potato purée, roasted heirloom cauliflower, baby carrots, pomegranate molasses, vanilla expresso demi-glace; Willett Rye 100 proof
- Guajillo-brown butter flourless chocolate torte, strawberry-peppadew compote, mint gelée, Chantilly cream; Bulleit Rye 90 proof
The cost of the rye dinner is $75. If reservations are made for more than one dinner in the series, the cost is $65 per dinner. Reservations may be made by calling 502-708-1850 or by emailing Merritt Mowery at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upcoming Whisk(e)y Five Dinners are scheduled for:
- July 27 – International whiskeys
- August 17 – Irish whiskeys
- September 7 – Bourbons from beyond Kentucky